Chicken Tinga Tacos
Tacos De Tinga De Pollo
Chicken Tinga Tacos
'Tinga de Pollo' is a classic Mexican dish, and when put into a tortilla it makes one of the tastiest chicken tacos you'll ever eat. You can also use it as an enchilada or flauta filling. Tinga is a very popular dish in Mexico because it uses affordable ingredients that are common in any Mexican kitchen. It is easy to prepare and can be made ahead of time. Some people say that it tastes even better the next day after its ingredients have marinated for several hours. So, you can make a large batch and use some of it as a filling for tomorrow’s dinner.
- 15 La Tortilleria corn tortillas
- 500g free-range chicken thighs
- 3 large tomatoes, quartered
- 1 tbsp chipotle in adobo
- ½ medium brown onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cloves
- Cooking oil
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Iceberg lettuce, shredded
- Sour cream, stirred until thin
- Avocado, sliced
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Sear the chicken until slightly brown but still raw inside, about 3 minutes each side. Set aside.
- Puree tomatoes, chipotle and salt and pepper in a blender.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, sauté onion and garlic in a little oil until translucent, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add in the chicken, pour the pureed tomatoes over the top to cover, then add the bay leaves and cloves, either as is (and remove when cooked), or in a banquet garni.
- Simmer on low heat uncovered for about 30 minutes, or until chicken is fully cooked. Remove the bay leaves and cloves. With two forks, shred the chicken in the juices and take to the table.
- In a very hot dry frying pan, heat your tortillas until soft, hot and floppy. Wrap in a tea towel until ready to serve.
- To assemble your taco, place some lettuce on your warm tortilla, top with chicken, avocado slices and sour cream drizzled over the top.
We are makers of award-winning traditional corn tortillas and tortilla chips, sold Australia-wideWhere to Buy
Want more Mexican? Get recipes, tips and news straight to your inbox!