Tofu Chorizo Tostadas
Tostadas De Chorizo De Soya
Tofu Chorizo Tostadas
Chorizo originated in the Iberian Peninsula & was brought to Mexico by the Spanish. It has since evolved, resulting in a unique Mexican chorizo, very different from Spanish chorizo. Another great way of serving this chorizo is mixed with cubes of cooked potatoes and used as a filling for tacos, flautas & enchiladas. This recipe is a modern take on a popular dish & is perfect for dinner parties, as finger food at lunch, or a delicious weekend snack. The tofu is perfect for soaking up complex flavours & contrasts well with the crispy tostada base.
- 8 La Tortilleria corn tortillas (or use smaller La Tortilleria corn tortillas to make finger food style)
- 280g firm tofu
- Cooking oil
- 100ml red wine vinegar
- 3 ancho chiles
- 2 quajillo chiles
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp vegetable stock
- 1 whole clove
- 1/3 of an iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 200g refried beans (see our other recipes or use tinned beans)
- 1/2 avocado, to serve
- 100ml vegan sour cream, to serve
- Place the chiles in a saucepan and submerge with hot water. Ensure the chiles remain below the waterline by weighing them down with a bowl or another saucepan. Simmer on very low heat for around 15 minutes until chiles soften. Remove from the liquid.
- Prepare the marinade ingredients by combining the red wine vinegar, ancho chiles, quajillo chiles, garlic, oregano, cumin, vegetable stock and cloves in a blender until smooth.
- Pulse the tofu very lightly in the blender to make small chunks about 2mm squared. Alternatively crumb the tofu using your hands.
- Heat cooking oil in a frying pan. Stir fry the minced tofu for 3 minutes then slowly add the marinade to the frying pan, then cook for another 3 minutes. Turn off heat.
- To prepare tortillas, heat cooking oil in a frying pan, enough to cover 1cm from the bottom.
- Place each tortilla one-by-one into the oil and fry until crispy and golden, ensuring it stays submerged in the oil. Drain on paper towel.
- Place a layer of refried beans over each tortilla. Top with the soy chorizo, lettuce, avocado and vegan cream. Top with your favourite salsa.
We are makers of award-winning traditional corn tortillas and tortilla chips, sold Australia-wideWhere to Buy
Want more Mexican? Get recipes, tips and news straight to your inbox!