There’s only one answer on a wintery day: soup! And nothing beats a hearty, spicy and robust tortilla soup. Watch our video below to learn how to make it.
Tortilla soup is also called Aztec soup in Mexico, and was created in the Mexican state of Tlaxcala. It is a dish that is usually served as an entrée in restaurants but can easily be a hearty main course meal on the family dinner table.
Tortilla soup is a wonderful way to use any leftover tortillas you might have, or any that have been accidentally left to dry out on the bench. Mexican cooks don’t like to waste their tortillas and have found many delicious and creative ways to use any that would otherwise go to waste, tortilla soup being a perfect example. In this recipe we will be heating the tortillas in the oven and then frying them so even if your tortillas are a few days old they will still be perfect to use in this dish.
I’ve seen all sort of extras added to this soup. Some people like to add celery, or carrots, but this recipe is the traditional way of preparing it. One thing I just love about this soup is that you serve it with all the toppings at the side, so everyone can have fun and add what they like to customise it to their taste.
This recipe is super simple and can be made using ingredients from your local grocery store. We also have another version here that uses dried pasilla chiles and dried epazote, which can be a bit harder to find, but worth the search.
- 10 La Tortilleria tortillas
- 1 white onion
- 1 garlic clove
- Vegetable oil
- 7 tomatoes
- 600 ml chicken stock
- 2 avocados
- 100 ml sour cream
- Small bunch of coriander
- 200 g ricotta cheese
- 1 tbsp chipotles
- Salt & pepper, to season
- Prepare your tortilla strips by cutting each into thin 1 cm strips and place them into the oven at 180°C for 10 minutes.
- Blend the tomatoes, onion, garlic, chicken stock, and 1 tablespoon of chipotle chillies until very smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan bring to the boil for 5 minutes and season to taste.
- Heat a 3 mm layer of cooking oil in a frying pan (enough to cover the base of the pan). Fry your tortilla strips until slightly golden and crunchy.
- Serve the soup in a bowl with the tortilla strips placed on top and a dollop of sour cream in the middle. On a separate plate, arrange the condiments including the avocado slices, coriander, and crumbed cheese. Bring the chipotles to the table for people to add to their soup if they would like more spice.